My objective is to assist the classroom teachers by providing support to classroom instruction, fostering knowledge and stimulating interest in reading. I will provide access to library resources appropriate to the curriculum of the school. I will use the library media to support the Common Core Curriculum in locating information and developing the ideas of students and teachers. I encourage parents to take their children to the public library or the main school library to borrow books to read at home. Please check the school calendar to see the wonderful events that are happening at P.S.94. Thank you in helping our students.
Joyce Martino - Librarian
Monday and Tuesday 8:00am to 3:40pm
Wednesday - Friday 8:00am to 2:20pm
Second Grade Reading Challenge
Welcome to the second grade reading challenge at P.S.94. We are glad to see many students excited about reading and completing the reading challenge program. All students are encouraged to read diligently throughout the school year.
Below you will find 10 challenges. Pick four challenges to do. Please write the title and author of each book used to do the graphic organizers. Use the library to get the books you need. Good Luck!
- Students receive 10 star tickets after completing the reading challenge packet and will have his/her name added to the "Second Grade Reading Challenge" display in the library.
- Students who complete a second packet will get 15 star tickets.
- In May, all Reading Challenge participants who complete the reading challenge packet will get a certificate.
Below you will find 10 challenges. Your mission is to complete 4 challenges for one packet. Use the library to get books you need. Good Luck!
- Read a fictional story and complete a story map. Write the title and author of book used.
- Read a non-fiction animal story. Use the graphic organizer provided. Answer the four questions using complete sentences.
- Read about two countries, then write four facts about how they are similar and different using the Venn diagram. Write about the language people speak, the clothes they wear, the food they cook, and the weather in that country. Write the names of the countries you researched.
- Read about one country and write a paragraph explaining what you would see. Name the famous landmarks. Write about the language people speak there. The food they eat and the clothes they wear.
- Read a biography and do the graphic organizer or a timeline. Answer all the questions on the graphic organizer. Write the title and author of the book.
- Read three books from your favorite author. Write a paragraph about his/her style of books. How did the books make you feel?
- Read a fairy tale book. Write a letter to one of the characters in the story. Identify the character's problem and give the character a good solution to solve the problem. Make sure you use the letter format provided.
- Read about a planet. Write a paragraph stating the name, and four interesting facts you learned by reading this book. Write the title and author of the book.
- Read a story about a character you would like to write about. Use the Character Analysis graphic organizer provided in the packet. Write the title and author of the book used.
- Do a Diorama using a shoe box. Display the setting and characters of the book used. Write the title and author of the book.
Feel free to stop by the library if you have any questions.
- TBA Check back here
Second Grade Literacy and Art Club
The library teacher Mrs. Martino and the art teacher Ms. Jennings will be working with the students on Thursday 1:30 pm to 2:10 pm.
Students will be reading and writing about different genres. Then they will do an art activity to enhance their learning on the topic.
Library Pacing Calendar 2017 - 2018
I collaborate with the K - 2 teachers and support them with the unit of study. Students are provided with the books needed to further their understanding and knowledge of the subject being studied in class. I give lessons on the holidays we celebrate in each month. I also incorporate the Leader In Me into our class discussions and text we use in class. Students are reminded to use the "7 Habits" in the library.