Ways We Help
WHAT DO SCHOOL COUNSELORS DO?
School counselors provide a preventative and proactive comprehensive counseling program that addresses the academic, personal/social, and career preparation/college planning needs of all students in alignment with the standards and competencies of the American School Counseling Association. Our goal is to promote a commitment to life-long learning, social/personal, and academic growth and to assist students in becoming responsible, culturally aware, and productive members of society. Our mission and our goal are supported with teachers, staff, administrators, parents, and the community to enhance student achievement. The comprehensive counseling program
· is available to all students to assist them with personal-social, educational, and career counseling needs,
· is an integral of the total educational process within the school and is critical to the academic, personal/social, and career development and progress of each student,
· helps to build a safe positive school environment by encouraging collaboration among counselors, teachers, administrators, parents, and the community to enhance student achievement,
· encourages supportive, positive parental involvement in the schools,
· is continuously refined and improved through systematic review and evaluation of student performance data.
School counselors provide career and educational counseling, including (but not limited to):
· individual and group counseling;
· crisis intervention and preventive counseling;
· student and family advocacy;
· educational consultations and collaborations with teachers, administrators, parents, and community leaders;
· school-wide programs (e.g., bullying, AFFIRMATIONS); and
· conflict resolution and peer mediation